While making important decisions about the health and well-being of a child, parents should give special emphasis on their teeth and gums. Kami Hoss Dentistry points out that in comparison to children with poor oral health, the children who establish good oral hygiene habits at a young age are more likely to continue with proper flossing and practice as adults. As a result, they would invariably experience far lesser dental problems throughout their life and maintain a positive self-image. For all parents, it is vital to see to it that their kids are able to establish proper dental care that helps in keeping their smiles intact throughout life.
Developing a good oral hygiene is many ways the first line of defense against many common dental issues like cavities, gum disease and plague. Kami Hoss mentions that dental decay is among the most common chronic childhood disease today. If it is left untreated then it may lead to infection and pain, which causes problems with speaking, eating and overall health of children. Hence, to avoid such eventualities, it is important to encourage positive dental habits among children right from a very young age.
Kami Hoss Dentistry marks that common problems like cavities are almost completely preventable with regular visits to the dentist and consistent dental care at home. Here are a few habits that parents can encourage their children to follow to maintain healthy teeth and gums:
- People should try to start with oral health habits as soon as the teeth of their baby are visible. In the initial years, parents should use washcloth to gently clean the teeth and gums of their child.
- Teach the children to brush all surfaces of their teeth for two minutes, twice a day. This should ideally be done with a fluoride-based toothpaste. Parents must assist their children to perfectly brush their teeth till they are able to do so independently.
- Parents should see to it that their children are flossing efficiently between their teeth and along the gum line. This is important for removing trapped food and plaque that lead to gingivitis and decay.
- Parents must try to make oral hygiene fun and interesting for their children by encouraging them to choose a kid-friendly toothbrush and toothpaste in their favorite color, character, or flavor.
- Whenever a child starts to make a fuss while brushing their teeth, parents can sing a song or play a video to make time pass quickly and to see to it that they are brushing for the full two minutes.
- From an early age itself, parents must encourage their kids to immediately brush their teeth after drinking juice or eating candy to prevent decay.
In addition to the pointers mentioned above, Kami Hoss Speaking mentions that parents should also avoid giving children too many sugary foods and drinks, as these items can promote decay and cause enamel damage. Kids should also be encouraged to drink water at regular intervals to help neutralize the acids that cause cavities.